Sunday, April 8, 2007

Qingming Festival 清明

清明时节雨纷纷
路上行人欲断魂
借问酒家何处有
牧童遥指杏花村

Tomb Sweeping Day and Clear Brightness Festival are the most common English translations of Qingming Festival.

For the Chinese, it is a day to remember and honour one's ancestors. Young and old pray before the ancestors, sweep the tombs and offer food, tea, wine, chopsticks, (joss) paper accessories, and/or libation to the ancestors. The rites are very important to most Chinese and especially farmers.


This year, we went to sweep tomb for my father. My sister, my uncles and my aunties, together with me and my mother, were going to pray for my father. As a traditional, we bring along the food or drink that is the favorite to the death during the life time. After praying, we then burnt the paper make money, houses, mahjong, passport, houses, watches, clothes, shoes, and the other necessaries. Burning those things are as a believe that the death person can receive them in their worlds.


Some of the family members are also firing the fire crackers. This as an act to ask for goodness and wealth for the next generation.

No comments: